Pipes last for decades. Some brass pipes can even last up to a century. Everything wears out eventually, though, so it’s important to know the telltale signs when a replacement may be needed. Don’t let the signs of worn-out and degraded pipes go out of concern for cost. Replacing the pipes may be more affordable and quicker than you think.
Signs Your Pipes Need Replacement
- Cracks: If there are visible cracks, it’s only a matter of time before things devolve into leaks or full-fledged pipe failure. Don’t wait for leaks or mold to accompany the cracks. Physical damage is the easiest thing to spot on exposed pipes under a sink.
- Leaks: Leaks may occur without accompanying cracks. Sometimes a plumber can fix a repair without replacement, but if replacement is recommended, don’t hesitate to move forward! For concealed pipes, unfortunately, leaks, water damage, or mold may be evident to you before physical degradation like cracks are apparent.
- Water Discoloration: If yellow or brown water is coming out of your faucet or shower, take note. Specks of debris are also of concern. It’s possible there may be a localized water problem. If your local water authority hasn’t reported an issue and the discoloration or debris continue for more than a day, it could be corrosion. Consult a plumber.
- Diminished Water Pressure: Similar to discoloring, water pressure issues could be due to the local water system. If it’s persistent, pipes may be the problem.
- Age: Galvanized steel can last 20-50 years. Brass runs in a narrower range of 40-45 years. Copper should last more than five decades, and cast iron can be viable for 75-100 years. If you have concerns about your pipes’ age relative to the age of your home, it may be time to have a plumber examine them.
If You See Any of the Signs, Call Efficient Plumbing Services
Efficient Plumbing Services guarantees all pipe replacements for up to a year. A 10% discount is available to first-time and repeat customers on pipe replacement and many other services. If you have plumbing concerns, don’t wait! Contact Efficient Plumbing Services today!